Pick it up. Wrap your hand around the sculpted Smart Grip. Line up a shot. You’ll immediately understand why Sony created the PXW-FS5. It’s the next step in Sony’s handheld revolution. Small as it is, the camera delivers uncompromising performance with Sony’s Super35 sensor, 4K onboard recording and wireless streaming. And with the CBK-FS5RIF software license, you can access the power of external RAW recording (license and RAW recorder both sold separately). The PXW-FS5. Just wait until you get your hands on it.
Second-generation Smart Grip
Handheld comfort is not simply a matter of weight. It’s also a question of balance. Of positive grip with your right hand. Of high-angle, low-angle and in-between shots. That’s what made the rotating Smart Grip of Sony’s FS7 such a success. And that’s why Sony’s engineers designed an innovative version of the Smart Grip for the FS5. To vary your point of view, it pivots through a range of angles. To enhance your control, it incorporates assignable buttons, an assignable dial and a joystick. And to promote ideal front-rear balance, you can attach an industry-standard rosette to use with Sony’s FS7 telescoping arm or third-party accessories (rosette, arm and accessories all sold separately).
4K Super 35 image sensor
Sony is the world leader* in image sensors. And it shows. The FS5 delivers formidable exposure latitude with 14 stops of dynamic range. And beautiful color. And high sensitivity. And stunning 4K resolution. Of course, the Super35 format also gives you the shallow depth of field so important in cinematic storytelling. And the sensor performs beautifully with Sony’s established S-Log2 and S-Log3 encoding and S-Gamut3.cine mode.
4K XAVC™ L recording on board
If you want to capture 4K, the camera offers built-in 3840 x 2160 recording. And while the resolution is phenomenal, the bit rates are reasonable. Thanks to Sony’s advanced XAVC™ L codec, you can capture 4K at a modest 100 Mbps (maximum). So you’re not over-burdening your memory cards, your desktop storage or your network. Of course, the XAVC L codec can also capture beautiful 1080p HD, with rich 4:2:2 color and nuanced 10-bit grayscale – all at an extremely affordable 25, 35 or 50 Mbps.
Outboard RAW recording with the CBK-FS5RIF license
The ultimate camera capture system would record every nuance of light and shadow from the image sensor, preserving every detail from every pixel for full exploitation in color correction. This is the concept behind RAW recording. To keep the camera small, light and ultra-portable, Sony engineers designed linear RAW recording as an outboard function. The PXW-FS5 enables RAW recording with the CBKZ-FS5RIF software license, sold separately, which requires free version 2.0 or higher firmware. The camera records to Sony’s own AXS-R5 RAW recorder equipped with the HXR-IFR5 interface unit, both sold separately. The FS5 also works with compatible third-party decks. You can get simultaneous RAW and XAVC® HD (1920 x 1080) internal recording, continuous 4K (4096 x 2160) RAW at up to 59.94 fps and continuous 2K RAW at up to 240 fps. In addition, the CBKZ-FS5RIF supports four seconds of burst mode 4K RAW at up to 120 fps.
Features Quick View
- Super 35 Exmor® CMOS image sensor with 14 stops of dynamic range and 8.8 million effective pixels (17:9)
- Pivoting, detachable Smart Grip (supplied) can be used with industry-standard rosette, Sony’s FS7 telescoping arm and third-party accessories, all sold separately
- Up to 960 fps Super Slow Motion with high sensitivity; burst mode recording at up to 60 fps in 4K, 240 fps in HD, 480 fps at reduced resolution and 960 fps at reduced-resolution Center Crop; recording time varies by frame rate
- On-board 4K recording at 3840 x 2160 resolution with Sony's XAVC™ Long codec
- Outboard 4K/2K RAW recording at 4096 x 2160 and 2048 x 1080 with Sony’s CBK-FS5RIF software license and a compatible RAW recorder, both sold separately
- S-Log3, S-Log2 and S-Gamut3.Cine help retain graceful highlights and extended shadow detail with accurate color reproduction
- 3.5-inch LCD monitor (viewable area, measured diagonally) flexibly adapts to shooting style and angle; mounts on three locations on the handle and six locations on the camera body
- Sony's E-Mount system compatible with E-Mount servo zooms, manual zooms and primes; A-Mount lenses (via Sony's adapters); PL mount lenses (via third-party adapters); and other SLR and rangefinder lenses (via third-party adapters)
- Continuously variable Neutral Density filter, a first in Super 35 imaging, enables you to blur the background even in sunlight; also offers conventional presets at 1/4, 1/16 and 1/64 ND
- Auto ND smoothly adjusts electronic ND to maintain depth of field, even as light conditions change
- Clear Image Zoom uses advanced image processing to double the effective focal length of your lens; a 12x zoom effectively becomes 24x
- Center Scan mode captures the center of the image at Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution. Not only does this provide an effective 2x zoom with 35mm glass, but it also enables you to mount 16mm PL lenses via third-party adapters
- Face Detection AF and Focus Magnifier assist in run & gun shooting; help to maintain critical focus, a particular advantage in 4K capture
- XAVC™ Long recording for 4K (3840 x 2160 at up to 30p) and Full HD (1920 x 1080 at up to 60p); advanced encoding technology retains superb picture quality at affordable bit rates (up to 50 Mbps in HD, up to 100 Mbps in 4K); beautiful 4:2:2 color and nuanced 10-bit grayscale in Full HD
- XAVC proxy recording captures frame-accurate lightweight proxy video suitable for faster file transfers and convenient file sharing
- AVCHD® recording for compatibility with legacy editing systems
- Simultaneous/Individual Recording enables you to capture backup recordings on the second media card
- Simultaneous 4K recording on internal and external recorder (sold separately) with free firmware upgrade 1.1 or higher
- Wireless Android® and iOS® remote control via the free Content Browser Mobile app
- NFC one-touch communication with compatible wireless devices
- Wireless streaming to compatible MPEG TS receivers and computers for convenient, remote image monitoring
- Wireless file transfers of full-resolution assets via Wi-Fi® router to an FTP server
- Wired LAN connection via built-in RJ-45 interface, for more robust network operations
- Multi-Interface Shoe (MI Shoe) supports accessories including Sony's UWP-D11 and D12 wireless mics and HVL-LBPC video light (all sold separately)
- 0.39-inch OLED viewfinder (viewable area, measured diagonally) with large eye cup
- 1/4-inch screw holes on the camera top, bottom and handle accommodate third-party accessories
- BP-U30 rechargeable battery and BC-U1 battery charger included
- Two SD memory card slots with Memory Stick® card capability in Slot A
- Complete interfaces include 3G-SDI, HDMI® jack, two XLR connectors, LANC remote control, USB, MI Shoe, DC input and RJ-45 LAN connector
- Catalyst Browse software included (free download)
960 fps Super Slow Motion
When you shoot at 960 frames per second, everyday actions take on poetic elegance. You reveal the beauty of a world that’s hidden right before our eyes. The PXW-FS5 takes you there. Operating in burst mode, you can capture 1080p HD at up to 240 fps and up to 960 fps at reduced resolution. Cache recording time varies according to your selected frame rate.
Sony's 18-105mm E-Mount servo zoom
While Sony’s E-Mount system provides a world of lens choices, Sony’s 18-105mm servo zoom (SEL-P18105G) does what still-image lenses do not. The precision servo provides smoother zoom than you could accomplish by hand. Meticulous optical design maintains axial image consistency across the zoom range. Constant F4 aperture eliminates unwanted exposure changes during a zoom. Sony’s image stabilization reduces the effects of camera shake. And internal zoom means the front of the lens does not extend, so it will not interfere with your matte box.